Friday, October 22, 2010

NaNoWriMo Prep 106: Sister, Sister

Sister Act

          “Ugh, I have nothing to wear!” Missy cried, standing in front of her closet crammed full of clothes, shoes, and handbags.
            “Are we looking at the same picture here?” Karen said, glancing up from her magazine from her spot on Missy’s bed.
            “We must not be if you’re telling me that you see something I can wear tonight to go out in.” Missy continued to take shirts off their hangers and throw them on the floor. “Ugly. Ugly. Last season. Wore this one every day last winter. Ugly. Ugly. Eew, flashback to the eighties! What was I thinking on some of this stuff?”
            “Missy! You know you’re going to just have to clean this mess up as soon as you find something to wear.” Karen ripped a page from her magazine and began rubbing a perfume sample on her wrists. “Forget the clothes. Rub some of this new Ralph Lauren fragrance on your neck before you go out, and Josh won’t even be looking at your clothes – he’ll be picturing you naked!”
            “Eew, Karen! You can’t say that kind of stuff to me. You’re my sister!” Missy threw the next two sweaters she grabbed from her closet directly at Karen’s head.
            “Oh, come on. I’m kidding. Besides Josh is going to love you no matter what you wear. He’s the one that asked you out, remember?”
            “Yeah, I guess, but I don’t know. You should see all the girls that throw themselves at him. They have long skinny legs, golden blonde hair, sparkling sapphire eyes. To state the obvious, they’re gorgeous.”
            “Aw, Missy. You’re not giving yourself enough credit,” Karen started to get off the bed, walking towards the door as she spoke.
            Missy was mumbling and throwing clothes around the room when Karen came back.
            “How about one of these numbers?” Karen suggested, twirling two sweaters on hangers towards Missy.
            “Wow! You’d let me wear one of those? But those are your favorites. I know you save those for interviews and special work meetings and stuff.”
            “Eh, what are big sisters for, right?” Karen said, getting back into the magazine she was reading. “Besides, if I lend you these, maybe I can borrow those awesome brown suede boots you got the other day.”
            “Ha. You mean the ones I caught you wearing out with Lauren last weekend?”
            “Okay, so maybe I feel like I owe you one. But really, I know you’re looking forward to this. God, why else would you be tearing apart your closet, making your entire wardrobe look like remnants from Hurricane Missy.”
            “I know. I’m just so nervous. It’s my first date since breaking up with Jack and I just want it to everything to be right.”
            “Just be yourself, Miss. He’ll love you just the way you are. Just be yourself and you’ll look great in anything you wear. Now, just choose one of these before I change my mind.”
            “Aw, thanks, sis! You’re the best really. And not just cause you’re lending me your Diane Von Furstenberg.” Missy practically  mauls Karen in a bear hug. “And thanks for the vote of confidence. It means a lot.”
            “Okay, okay. Save the mushy stuff,” Karen said, hiding her blushed cheeks deeper into the binding of the magazine she was reading. “And I’m still borrowing your brown suede boots Saturday night. I got so many compliments on them. It wouldn’t be fair to Seth not to.” Missy threw a pillow at Karen’s head, mussing up her hair and losing her place in the magazine.
Missy threw on the sweater over a coordinating tank top. She topped the look off with Black knee-high boots over a pair of dark blue designer jeans. She took one last glimpse of herself in the floor length mirror, grabbed her purse, said, “Wish me luck, big sis!” and headed out of the room.
            “Wait!” shouted Karen. Missy retreated back into the bedroom. “Here take these, too.” She took out the chandelier earrings he was wearing and handed them to Missy.
            “Alright! Thanks!” Missy said, putting them in each ear lobe and hurried out of the room for the second time.
            “Don’t forget I want all the juice when you get back!” Karen called out to Missy.
            “Don’t hold your breath! And get out of my room! I don’t want to find any more shoes missing from my room when I get back.” Ah, sisters, Missy thought. Can’t leave them. Gotta love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment